Facts about bicycles in Provincetown:
- Provincetown has the highest rate of year-round bike commuters in Massachusetts and one of the highest rates in the country.
- Provincetown is recognized as a Silver-level Bicycle Friendly Community Award by the League of American Bicyclists.
- Provincetown ranks as the most bike-friendly street network in the United States according to the PeopleForBikes Bicycle Network Analysis, with a score of 87 out of 100.
- WalkScore ranks Provincetown as a “Biker’s Paradise” with a score of 90 on its 100-point scale.
- The town’s first dedicated bike path was proposed in 1899 to connect Provincetown to Pond Village in Truro.
- The Province Lands Bike Trail was the first bike path built in a National Park and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017.
- The Claire Saltonstall Bikeway was established in 1978 from Boston to Provincetown and remains the only numbered bike route in Massachusetts as State Bicycle Route 1.
- Riding a bicycle is the #2 activity for summer visitors after going to the beach, according to the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce.
|® 2014 by The Bike Shack, LLC, web design by Christopher Masi